Thursday, June 20, 2013

Little Cork

I was writing my wedding vows yesterday afternoon, and after about 10 minutes of struggling, the little cork inside me that was holding all the magic in popped loose.  Beauty flowed out through my fingertips.  It was romantic, it was humorous, and it was wholly original.

Confident and proud of the 250 words I had finely polished, I readied my printer.  At this moment, I did something I had never done before.  The rat's nest of cords connected to the surge protector under my desk have never been moved in 4 years, I have spent untold hours in this spot working and playing.  My toe, on this day, decided to find the on/off switch of the power strip and flatline my lamp, computer, router, modem, and printer.

Nothing saved.  Turned everything back on and nothing was recoverable.

I suppose this is a sign that perhaps those vows weren't as good as I thought...

2 comments:

  1. Back in the very early days of "word processing" a great deal of the best stuff ever written was lost to dying machines. I lost a little, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a poem that is written in the sand, sand, sand...

    ReplyDelete