Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Cartographer

I once knew a man who was going to a school of higher education in pursuit of a degree in Cartography.

"Don't they pretty much have it all mapped out these days?" I asked.

"Yea, for the most part," he replied.

"So is there much demand for cartographers anymore?" I asked.

"Oh yes, very high demand," he replied.

"Are you mapping the depths of the oceans, or perhaps outer-space?" I asked.

"You sure do ask a lot of questions," he replied.  "And no, we aim to remap the Earth more efficiently."

"They have Google Earth available for free on the internet," I said.  "Total satellite imagery of the entire planet."

"Is my pizza ready yet?" he asked.

2 comments:

  1. Invariably, if you do make maps for a living, the most common question you will be asked is that which you asked your friend:

    "Don't they pretty much have it all mapped out these days?"

    To which the cartographer should reply truthfully:

    "Everywhere sure. But everything never."

    Maps are art. As long as the world changes and we occupy 3 dimensional meatspace, we'll need 'em.

    ReplyDelete