Monday, September 17, 2012

Redemption

When I was younger my parents bought me a fish tank as a birthday present.  10 gallons in size, this tank was nestled upon a beautiful wooden stand with all the regular tank fixings; neon gravel, little castle, bubble operated skeleton drinking a XXX jug, the works.  Stocked with a nice variety of tetras and plecostomi, it was the perfect little habitat for a weird little boy to play God.

Too bad I played Satan.

That tank was a torture chamber of disease and mistreatment for nearly the entire time it was in operation.  I dumped Mt Dew in there, I reached my hand in and grabbed the fish, I never took care of it, and when all the fish died and the water receded to about an inch I caught some toads and made it into a terrarium.  I don't even want to mention what happened to them.

Now Melissa and I own a new 10 gallon tank that was given to us by one of her friends moving back to Minnesota.

I feel more than obligated to redeem myself.

We currently have 3 black mystery snails, 2 bottom feeding catfish, 1 eel, 1 striped danio, and the most recent addition is 1 African dwarf frog.

It wasn't until getting the frog home that we dumbly realized it doesn't eat fish flakes.  So with a head cold (maybe a sinus infection - not gonna go to the doctor) and my car broken down, I set out on foot into the smoky Missoula afternoon to get across town and buy frozen bloodworms.

God damnit, this frog is gonna eat today...

1 comment: