Saturday, August 10, 2013

Emergency protocols

Sometimes I crack myself up.

We got home last night to a home without power.  An intense thunderstorm with high winds whipped through Missoula as the sun dipped down behind the mountains around 8pm.  Our windows were left open during the entire event so our houseplants all received a hardy thrashing.  Potting soil and leaves littered the living room carpet.  The cats looked wide-eyed and terrified in the dark.  As I awoke this morning, I smiled at the decision my drunk self made last night to place my 2-meter hamm radio next to the bed.  Way to go Randy, good emergency protocols.  I had not bothered to dial it into the local repeater tower, or any of the local emergency channels.  I did have it tuned into the deserted 146.420 frequency that my friend Chad and I use as our private com.  Best to be in touch with your friends when shit goes down apparently.

Now I sip my coffee as go through my quiet apartment remedying all the flashing 12:00's.

No comments:

Post a Comment